As the new year began, I remember thinking,
'I feel great. Life is wonderful. Wouldn't it be great to be in
love?' Then in March 1992 a friend invited me to New York City for
Neil's birthday party. . . we'd been friends for 10 years. I hadn't
seen him for a while and at his party, we fell in love. It was an
enchanted courtship. We got married in October and (took a) honeymoon
in Paris. . .
-Laurie Beechman, People Magazine 1995
- Added a link to the website of Gaylen Ross, who directed the documentary about Laurie, to many of the site pages.
- The site has once again been redesigned. I've been wanting to do away with the frames construction for a long time and I also wanted a fresh new style for the site. After quite a bit of effort as well as several aborted design attempts, I am finally happy with what I came up with and I hope that everyone else will like it, too. Please note that some file names have changed so if you have bookmarked any of the pages on this site, you may have to update your bookmarks. Please feel free
to send me feedback on the redesign!
- Added 2 new photos to the Fantine page and rescanned 2 others; also some tidying and additions were done fairly recently without being documented here.
- On the occasion of the webmaster's 12th anniversary of seeing Laurie
Beechman first perform as well as the 3rd anniversary of seeing her
for a final time (both in Cats), the totally redesigned version
of this site officially opens at TheatreFest.com. Please feel free
to send feedback on
the new look- crossing fingers that everyone likes it!
Some of the highlights of the
new version include: tabbed navigation scheme,
(vol. 4) programmed by the webmaster, and improved photo galleries
featuring new and rescanned images
- Moved the poem
from the main page to a link off Remembering
- Proudly added Claudia Beechman's French
poem to the Remembering Laurie page.
Some minor cosmetic changes were made to that page as well as the
verify that people fill in a name and comments on the signing
- Added a photo to The Hall of Headshots
- Added an item to the news archives
page about a planned benefit.
- The minor facelift I'd planned (see below) has turned into a major
overhaul that occupied much of my free time during the latter part
of Feb. (but it's a project I've thoroughly enjoyed) I've
gone through every page and worked on sprucing things up as
well as maintaining a more coherent layout throughout the site (particularly
as far as the color scheme). I've also added 2 pages: Remembering
Laurie, which contains the tribute links that were formerly on
the home page (relax, nothing is gone- it was just moved) and The
Annie Annex, a collection of pictures of Laurie in Annie- 3 were
moved from the Onstage section, and the rest are new to the site.
I've also closed volume 2 of the guestbook, and opened volume
3. There are also new pictures in the other photo collections,
as well as ones that have been rescanned and imrpoved. As you
can see, I remain committed to maintaining the excellence of this
site. By the way, for anyone keeping track, this marks what
I consider to be version 3.0 of the page. It is designed for
optimal viewing on a 600x800 screen, preferably with a recent version
of Netscape (3.0+) or Internet Explorer (4.0+). But I've
tried to make it look as good as possible no matter what browser you
use (so long as it is a frames capable browser, and a monitor that
has decent color).
It's convenient that I've been able to time the launch of the
new look to the one year anniversary of Laurie's passing. However,
it isn't entirely coincidental- I was thinking that it was time
to put some work into the site, and I decided that it would be wonderful
to have the "rebirth" be on this date, as a symbol that
Laurie still lives on in my life- I hope that it will also be comforting
to all of Laurie's fans, friends and family.
- Added links to Souvenirs
et Espoirs: Tha Claudia Beechman Website on various places on
this site. Laurie's sister who is featured dueting with Laurie on
"If we Only Have Love" on the CD No
One is Alone, Claudia has recently released a wonderful CD
of her own, Souvenirs de Paris, where she sings French songs.
Claudia's site is also designed and maintained by yours truly,
the webmaster for Laurie's site. Be sure to check it out if you have
I also added an item to the news
section, and removed some references to the ill fated 11/30 concert-that-wasn't.
Hopefully, I will soon be able to do a minor facelift on this
site (mainly design, not content-- though I do plan one or two content
updates as well)- so stay tuned!
Navigator 3.0+ and Internet Explorer 4.0).
The pages will be renovated completely over the next few days;
there was nothing wrong with the old version but 1) Updating the
look periodically keeps the page looking fresh and 2) I wanted to
make some changes. Other than the current page's background
(which came from a public domain website), all backgrounds will
now be original creations of the webmaster. The pages may
undergo small design changes periodically over the course of the
coming days, until they are finalized. All content, however,
should remain the same throughout the transition period.
- Added an obituary written by Clark
Groome for the Chestnut Hill Local.
- Added an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer (6/19/97)
and a brief mention from In Theater magazine (9/19/97) to the
Library of Articles. Updated
the Onstage , Offstage
and News pages and added more graphics to various
places on the site. Added The Portrait
Passageway, which is the gateway to 4 pages of photos: The Grizzabella
Gallery (with a new background), The Fantine Foyer, The Hall of Headshots
and The Assortment Alcove.
- Recordings page is renovated- with
new pages for each of Laurie's 4 solo CD's, as well as 13 sound clips.
This updates page is also added as a place to list major updates to
the page (any minor updates- such as changing a word or a phrase,
or adding a single photo- will not usually be mentioned here).
- week of 3/16/98
- A new guestbook is added due to the fact that the old one was erased
from its site. A few more photos are added, and some graphics
are touched up.
- Laurie Beechman passed away last night. A tribute page has
replaced the original front page- it includes a poem the webmaster
started writing on March 8.
- Due to the fact that this page has outgrown Prodigy's webhosting
capabilities, The Laurie Beechman Website has moved to its 2nd home,
at Geocities. Additionally, you may notice that this page has
undergone a makeover coinciding with the move. The aim of these
changes has been to improve upon the organization and design of the
site, as well as to take advantage of the fact that the webmaster
has learned a great deal about HTML since starting work on the page
in spring 1996. Though this site looks different, the content
has remained relatively constant.
- A guestbook has been added. Please take a moment to sign
and share your comments on this extraordinary singer or on this website.
- Visit the Grizabella Gallery to
see a selection of pictures of Laurie Beechman as Grizabella throughout
- The graphics and photos on this site have been greatly expanded.